Last week, Denon announced the very first 8K-ready AV receivers ever, which means you’ll be very ‘future proof’. We mean: 4K is not the standard yet… And 8K TV’s are still very expensive. Not to mention 8K content.
Denon has released its first 8K ready AV receivers. The AVC-X6700H, AVC-X4700H, AVC-X3700H and AVR-X2700H (DAB+) build on the renowned AVR-X Series and “usher in the next generation of superior home theater, music and gaming,” says the manufacturer.
Denon not only introduces – as we read further on in the press release – the first 8K-ready receivers ever, but also celebrates its 110th anniversary this year: ‘Throughout its existence, the company has been at the forefront of technological development. The introduction of 8K is the next exciting chapter in a leading history. 8K is an exciting technology, and the new X-Series AVRs offer a number of new features that home theatre fans, music lovers and gamers can instantly use. Prepare your home theatre for future 8K launches, including eARC and HDR10+, and instantly enjoy 4k/120Hz gaming with VRR, QFT, QMS and ALLM as the key criteria of Denon AVR’s new line-up. And each with Denon’s renowned and award-winning sound quality and ease of use.
Carriers of the standard
The new Denon X-Series AV amplifiers and receivers deliver the ultimate home theatre experience and take advantage of the latest HDMI technologies. With unprecedented image quality and immersive audio decoding capabilities, it’s easier than ever to reproduce the cinematic experience at home. Enjoy movies and other content with stunning picture quality thanks to a dedicated “8K” HDMI input with 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz passthrough, new HDR support including HDR10+ and Dynamic HDR and a new HDMI feature called Quick Media Switching (QMS), which allows a source to instantly change the resolution or frame rate to avoid screen obscuration. For exceptional colour, brightness and contrast, the latest X-Series models still support HDR10, HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) and Dolby Vision, as well as 4:4:4 Pure Colour subsampling and BT.2020 passthrough,” said the manufacturer.
Perfect for gamers
According to Denon gamers, several new features offer a head start: ‘such as razor-sharp motion clarity with 4K/120Hz passthrough and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) to reduce frame tearing and improve overall precision. Stay ahead of your opponents with Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Quick Frame Transport (QFT), each designed to reduce lag and improve stats. See the enemy before they see you thanks to the latest HDMI 2.1 technologies. The Denon X-Series can scale existing HD and 4K content up to 8K so anyone with an 8K TV or beamer can enjoy the sharpest picture quality.
Stream movies & TV with unprecedented audio quality
The new Denon X-Series AVRs support eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel). eARC delivers uncompressed, object-based audio from the TV to the receiver via a single HDMI cable. TVs play video directly from TV apps with the best available picture quality – 4K or 8K – while the receiver identifies and displays the best available surround format. With eARC and the latest HDMI connectivity up to 8K Ultra HD, the new X-Series receivers offer seamless connections to the latest 8K TVs, streaming devices, game consoles and other playback devices.
The Denon AVC-X6700H and AVC-X4700H support virtually all 3D audio formats, including Dolby Atmos®, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization Technology, DTS:X®, DTS Virtual:X™, IMAX® Enhanced and Auro-3D® out-of-box. The AVC-X6700H also supports DTS:X Pro®, allowing users to enjoy up to 13 channels of DTS:X decoding with speaker configurations such as 7.2.6 or 9.2.4. Listeners can also enjoy the latest IMAX Enhanced movies in 7.2.6 or 9.2.4 speaker configurations thanks to the new 13.2-channel processing function with external amplification. The DTS:X Pro function will be offered through a firmware update later this year.
AVC-X6700H supports 11-channel gain with a 13.2-channel processing function, AVC-X4700H and AVC-X3700H offer 9-channel support with an 11.2-channel processing function. The AVR-X2700H supports up to 7-channel gain. Auro-3D® engine is supported by AVC-X6700H and AVC-X4700H. IMAX Enhanced decoding is supported by both AVC-X6700H and AVC-X4700H receivers and AVC-X3700H.
Denon now also supports a new “Pre-Amplifier” mode for the AVC-X3700H, AVC-X4700H and AVC-X6700H, as only Denon’s flagship AVC-X8500H previously did. The pre-amplifier mode provides a clearer signal path and greater tolerance in the distortion level by disconnecting internal amplifiers when the receiver serves as AV processor and all speakers are driven by external amplifiers.
HEOS® Built-In Multiroom music streaming
With HEOS® Built-in, the X-Series can wirelessly stream music to compatible HEOS devices from a variety of free and premium streaming services such as Spotify, Napster, TuneIn, Deezer, SoundCloud, TIDAL and more. Consumers can also enjoy their favorite music wirelessly from anywhere in the house. Play the same song in all rooms at the same time, or select a different song for each connected room via different streaming services. Add Denon Home speakers to different rooms and control them with the HEOS app. In addition to HEOS, Apple AirPlay 2 and Bluetooth are also supported. Streaming from Apple Music is supported by AirPlay 2.
Roon Tested and high resolution playback
Denon X-Series AVRs have Roon Tested certification, allowing users to get more out of their music libraries through the advanced Roon music interface on their PCs and smart devices. Denon Roon Tested AVRs can be easily found by Roon via Airplay 2 or hardwired with a Roon Core device. In addition to high-resolution network audio streaming, each receiver features a front panel USB port for easy audio playback of MP3 and high-resolution audio formats (WAV, FLAC, ALAC and DSD 2.8/5.6 MHz files).
Effortless voice control
Denon’s X-Series AVRs also work with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple Siri for effortless voice control. Listeners can give various voice commands via Amazon Alexa, including changing the input for different media players. The Google Assistant and Apple Siri can be used to adjust the volume, skip a song and more.
The Denon Setup Assistant does the job
Denon’s award-winning Setup Assistant makes installation very easy for users, we read: “Every home theater is unique. That’s why Denon uses Audyssey’s space calibration technology for accurate measurements and performance optimization. This provides the best 3D audio experience tailored to the acoustic properties of the room. The AVR-X2700H supports Audyssey MultEQ XT, while the rest of the line supports Audyssey MultEQ-XT32 and subEQ HT for independent calibration for better balance and controlled bass performance. The Audyssey MultiEQ editor app is available for those who want even more personalization possibilities’.
New convenient dual speakers – Audyssey Feature
The 2020 X-Series models now support the Dual Speaker Setup Preset function which allows users to directly switch between two speaker configurations and save them in the settings. This allows users to both save the Audyssey calibration result directly from the receiver and at the same time create a custom MultEQ curve or frequency range via the Audyssey MultEQ editor on the receiver app. This allows users to easily compare differences and select their preference. Listeners can also take Audyssey measurements for two different speaker settings, including 2.0 for listening to music and 5.1.4 for surround movie sound.
1] To compatible 8K ready TVs
2] The level of functionality is variable and depends on the platform. Voice assistant is not available in every region.
Main differences between models:
3] Via a future firmware update
Key features of all 2020 X-Series AVRs
Video and HDMI
- (New) 8K: See the unprecedented detail with 8K passthrough and upscaling.
- (New) 4K/120HHzHHdsfdafjdoapfd ajkofpd Hz: Experience incredibly smooth motion clarity with a 4K passthrough of 120 frames per second.
- (New) Variable Refresh Rate (VRR): Reduces or eliminates lag, falter, and frame tearing for smooth and more detailed gameplay.
- (New) HDR10+: Get the most out of an HDR10+ compatible TV and content with HDR10+ passthrough support.
- (New) Dynamic HDR: Optimize the performance of HDR TVs with scene-by-scene or frame-by-frame dynamic
- (New) Quick Media Switching (QMS): Watch more, wait less. Say goodbye to empty screens with Quick Media Switching (QMS).
- (New) Quick Frame Transport (QFT): Enjoy reduced latency for smoother, tear-free entertainment.
- eARC support: Enhanced Audio Return Channel now supports audio transmission of the latest loose 3D audio formats from the TV directly to the AV receiver via the connected HDMI cable.
- New Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM): Supports low latency gaming on Xbox One (requires a suitable TV).
- Great Colour: 4:4:4 Pure Colour sub-sampling, HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG), Dynamic HDR and BT.2020 pass-through support for exceptional sharpness, colour and contrast.
- HDCP 2.3: Complies with the latest copy protection standards on all HDMI ports.
Audio and surround sound
- (New) DTS:X Pro: Only available on AVC-X6700H, DTS:X Pro allows users to process up to 13 channels.
- Engaging 3D audio: Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, IMAX Enhanced, and Auro 3D.
- Premium DAC: Decoding of high-resolution audio thanks to 32bits AKM DAC.
- Hi-Res Audio: Provides the ability to decode up to 24-bit/192-kHz lossless ALAC, FLAC and WAV files, as well as DSD 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz tracks via front panel USB or network devices.
Music streaming and smart home environment
- Roon Tested: Get more out of your digital music library with all the information you can find about your favourite artists and songs.
- HEOS® Built-in: Wi-Fi music streaming and multiroom audio technology with compatible components. HEOS supports TuneIn, SoundCloud, TIDAL, Napster, Deezer and the free and premium version of Spotify.
- Built-in AirPlay 2: Use AirPlay 2 to stream music wirelessly to the AV receiver or pair with other compatible speakers to play your music anywhere in the house. It is also possible to stream music from Apple Music via AirPlay 2.
- Effortless voice control: Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant or Apple Siri for hands-free control of your wireless music and AVR.
- Bluetooth-enabled: Stream music wirelessly and play in a second room or on speakers with HEOS via the free HEOS app.
- (New) Bluetooth Transmitter: Listen late at night to audio via Bluetooth headphones, or enjoy listening together with a family member or friend with a hearing impairment. Audio can be listened to on the speakers and headphones at the same time.
Installation and Ease of Use
- Room calibration and optimised room acoustics: Offers a choice of Audyssey EQ calibration technologies for easy and accurate installation and dynamic volume control.
- (New) Dual Audyssey Preset Memory: Allows users to save two Audyssey configurations and switch ‘on the fly’ for even more detailed listening experiences.
- Quick Selects: There are four Quick Select buttons on the front panel and remote control that allow you to save the sound preferences for each source.
- Remote apps (iOS/Android): Denon AVR remote control for basic operation and installation of the AVRs. Audyssey MultiEQ editor app available (paid) for further adjustment of the EQ curve in the room.
The latest X-Series AV receivers are available from authorised Denon retailers from the dates listed below. For more information on the latest additions to the Denon X-Series receivers, please visit: https://www.denon.com/nl-NL. Prices:
- AVR-X2700H (€649) (DAB Version €679 (September)
- AVC-X3700H (€1099) (August)
- AVC-X4700H (€1499) (July)
- AVC-X6700H (€2499) (July)