KEF is launching its R Series with Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT), consisting of a total of seven models.
The new generation of R Series speakers includes seven models, each featuring Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT). KEF: ‘The new R Series models produce unparalleled sound for shows, games and artists, among others, and incorporate a selection of the latest technologies developed for KEF’s leading and transcendent The Reference Series. Exceptional sound experiences are made more accessible by the R Series, in part because the products can be used in stereo settings for music or in a home theater. With a contemporary, timeless design driven by acoustics, this collection of hi-fi speakers gives users even more ways to easily connect with the content they love’.
Hi-Fi in the home
Grace Lo, KEF President & Head of Global Marketing said, “The demand for high-fidelity sound at home is growing. Whether you watch movies as part of a home theater set-up or listen to music digitally, via CD or vinyl, fans of audio expect the very best sound quality. At KEF, we are committed to helping listeners experience content exactly as the producer intended. The launch of the new R Series has enhanced the listening experience for KEF users more than ever”.
At the heart of the new R Series speakers is Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT), a highly complex maze-like structure in which each of the intricate channels efficiently absorbs a specific frequency. In combination, according to the manufacturer, the channels ‘act as an acoustic black hole, absorbing 99% of the unwanted sound at the rear of the tweeter. This eliminates the resulting distortion, creating a purer, more natural acoustic performance’.
All seven R Series models feature a custom-made 12th-generation Uni-Q driver array with MAT, which KEF says “delivers incredibly detailed performance. This is the result of decades of accumulated knowledge and the application of advanced simulation and analysis tools. The developments are numerous and all play a role in the exceptional performance of the R Series.
The detail and unparalleled clarity of the R Series are the result of a number of modifications made specifically for this collection. From the refined tweeter gap damper that tames resonances for greater detail, to the flexible decoupling chassis that prevents unwanted vibration for greater clarity. The hybrid aluminum woofers produce tight, deep and controlled bass, while the enhanced crossover design and precisely tuned signal path lead to pristine, pure sound. Together, these innovations make the R Series sound even more transparent and lifelike than before’.
A versatile collection
The R Series offers listeners great versatility when putting together their ideal hi-fi system. ‘Whether a stereo system or a home theater, listeners can be confident that with the R Series they can enjoy an immersive, realistic sound experience’, the manufacturer reports.
Below, KEF introduces the individual family members of the series in its own words:
- The combination of three floorstanding speakers, the R11 Meta, R7 Meta and R5 Meta, and a bookshelf speaker, the R3 Meta, produces unparalleled HiFi stereo sound regardless of the size of the listening room. Each of the aforementioned speakers allows users to discover depth and detail they never knew existed from a piece of pick on a guitar string to the sense of emotion and atmosphere in a live performance.
- The two center speakers, including R6 Meta and R2 Meta, which can also be used in LCR (Left-Centre-Right) configuration, deliver brilliant dialogue clarity for the home theater experience in various room sizes. Uni-Q arrays of the same size are used on the center speakers and all other models in the series. This ensures a consistent sound character, putting the focus entirely on the movie and not the equipment in the room.
- If users want to experience immersive Dolby Atmos sound, the R8 Meta surround speaker is an ideal addition to the system. It can be wall-mounted or placed on top of another R Series speaker for unparalleled sound. With the addition of one of KEF’s leading subwoofers, the entire movie experience can be felt, from the deepest impact to the softest whisper.
- Simple and elegant speakers The R Series’ understated design is complemented by carefully selected color options. Designed to blend into both traditional and modern interiors, each R Series model comes in three finishes: Black Gloss, White Gloss and Walnut. Two models also have their own distinctive finishes: the Titanium Gloss Special Edition for the R7 Meta and the Indigo Gloss Special Edition for the R3 Meta. The R3 Meta is also threaded, allowing the speaker to be securely mounted on the top of KEF S3 floor stands.
- Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT eliminates 99% of high-frequency distortion for pure, natural sound)
- Custom-made 12th-generation Uni-Q with MAT driver array for exceptional acoustic accuracy
- Refined tweeter gap damper tames resonances for enhanced detail
- Flexible decoupling chassis prevents unwanted vibrations for increased clarity
- Hybrid aluminum woofers with larger driver excursion for tight, deep and controlled bass
- Improved crossover design and signal path refinement for pristine and pure sound
- Constrained Layer Damping bracing dissipates unwanted vibration
- Seven models: R11 Meta, R7 Meta, R5 Meta, R3 Meta, R6 Meta, R2 Meta, R8 Meta
- Available in Black Gloss, White Gloss and Walnut finishes, plus an exclusive Titanium Gloss Special Edition for R7 Meta and Indigo Gloss Special Edition for R3 Meta
- Microfiber grilles offer the perfect balance of driver protection, sonic performance and aesthetics
- S3 Floor Stand for R3 Meta is available separately
- R11 Meta – €3,250.00
- R7 Meta – €2,500.00
- R5 Meta – €1,750.00
- R3 Meta – €1,100.00
- R6 Meta – €1,800.00
- R2 Meta – €1,400.00
- R8 Meta – €800.00